Sport Injury Prevention
Play hard. Stay healthy.
Each year more than 1.2 million Canadians are sidelined from their favourite sports activity due to a sports-related injury that may have been prevented through proper fitting footwear and shoe selection.To reduce the risk of a sports-related injury and alleviate any pain caused by one, The Pedorthic Association of Canada recommends:
- Consulting a local Canadian Certified Pedorthist for a biomechanical exam to ensure you select the right type of footwear for any sports activity and to help guarantee proper fitting and correct support for foot type.
- Slowly and carefully increase activity while allowing the tissues of the lower limb time to properly adapt to the new activity levels.
- When injury occurs and biomechanical faults are found, custom-made foot orthotics and appropriate footwear choices can help the healing process and stop the recurrence of problems.
- Selecting a stable shoe with a sturdy heel counter (the back of a shoe that controls motion) and stable midsoles that still provide shock absorption are needed.
- Over-the-counter devices often help prevent simple cases of over pronation and can assist with healing.
- If a foot injury occurs, rest, use ice and seek help from your physician.
- If a condition persists it can help to visit complementary health professionals, such as a physiotherapist or massage therapist, who specializes in sports medicine.
- Physiotherapists can also assist in providing detailed information on pre-event warm-up and stretching that will also help prevent any sports-related injuries.
By following these recommendations, you can decrease the risk of sustaining a sports-related injury during your favourite athletic activities.
(quoted directly from the Pedorthic Association of Canada, Sports Injury Prevention website)
Start Your Journey Toward Pain-Free Living Today!
Get in touch with us at 705-342-7728 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or come visit us at our 8 Murray Point Road location and set up your footcare consultation appointment.